My Minnesota Trip – On The Road

August 16, 2009 at 1:25 am 7 comments

July 7, 2009, Tuesday 12:41 am

Dear Kitty,

I’m going on a trip from Winnipeg to Minnesota to visit Auntie D and Uncle Sparkie with Mama tomorrow, well it’s already tomorrow, so actually, in just a few hours. This is the first time I’m going outside of Canada in a very long time. 18 years to be exact. I would have loved to take a trip with the family. But none of them would want to come with me. Well, that’s mainly because Mama and I are taking the bus. She didn’t want to drive all the way there. I thought I could convince my youngest son, since he hasn’t been apart from me. But he didn’t want to go. I think because his brothers aren’t going.

I have been talking about the trip with them, a lot more recently since I have been reminding them to do their chores, and also mine, while I’m away. And please don’t forget to flush the toilet. I don’t want to come home to a messy and stinking house, I would tell them. 🙂 I’d ask the youngest one if he’d miss me, he’d say that he won’t. Of course, he’s only pretending. I know he’s going to miss me. I will miss them, especially my baby the most.

Tonight, before he went to bed, he gave me the longest hug. I thought he was going to cry. But he didn’t. He’s a big boy now.

I’m excited about the trip. I need to get away from TH, even if just for a few days. Sometimes I feel that it’s sort of a sacrifice for me though to leave the boys behind. I know it’s just four days. But this is the first time I’m going to be away from them. It’s true that the two oldest ones had been away on band trips. But still. This time, I’m the one going away.

It’s 1:02 am now. I better go to bed. I have to get up at 6:00 am.

9:48 am

The bus was supposed to leave at 9:15 am, but we’re just pulling out of the terminal now. And aga pa naman naming dumating sa bus station. Mama wanted to be there at 8:00 am. So ang tagal naming naghintay duon. Just before 9:15 am, the bus driver of Jefferson Lines came inside the waiting area. She was wondering why nobody was getting on her bus. Well, we were waiting for the announcement. We didn’t hear anything.

Last night my youngest one asked me to wake him up before I leave in the morning. Eh masunuring bata ako, so I did. 🙂 I said goodbye to him, hugged him and kissed him on the cheeks three times. Hindi naman tumangi. Because he usually does.

1:25 pm

So we arrived at the Canada/US border at Emerson at around 11:15 am. All the passengers of the bus had to get out including luggage and all and check in with the US Customs. It shouldn’t have taken up more than half an hour, but we learned from the others that one of the passengers was called right away inside the office for questioning. The bus can’t leave while he’s there. At 12:15 pm, we all got on the bus again. The driver drove around a little bit and brought the problem passenger at the Immigration Office. She came with him in there. After about half an hour, they both came back in the bus. Mrs. Driver dropped off Mr. Passenger at a nearby inn. At first, Mr. Passenger wouldn’t get off the bus. You can’t go to the U.S., Mrs. Driver told him. I called my friends and asked them to pick me up there, he said. But they don’t want you hanging out at the Immigration Office, she said. They exchanged some more words. I could feel the tension among the other passengers. We’re already about a couple of hours behind schedule and I know some of them have to catch another bus at the next station and some at another station. Then thankfully, one of the passengers at the back came forward and spoke to Mr. Passenger in his language. I don’t know what Miss Passenger told him, but he finally got off the bus and now we’re on our way to U.S.

4:50 pm

We’re just leaving Fargo. We switched to a different bus. I’m thinking of calling home at the next stop if there’s a phone there. I’m not even sure if I can call long distance from a public phone. It’s been a long trip. Naiiyak ako. 😦 I miss my bunso, the others too, but him most especially.

It’s now July 8, 2009, Wednesday 12:50 am

We’re here now at Auntie D and Uncle Sparkie’s place. Arrived at around 12:30 am. Mama and I are sharing a bed in the basement.

Flashback: It was around past 9:00 pm when Mama asked one of the Filipino passengers in the bus if she could borrow her cell phone. We were supposed to be in Minneapolis at 7:50 pm and we were worried that Auntie D and Uncle Sparkie might have thought that we weren’t coming and have left. How could we go to their place and it’s two and a half hours drive from Minneapolis to McGregor? Luckily, Mama was able to get a hold of her and Auntie D told her that she has been worried and had called Winnipeg a few times already. She had confirmed that we have left that morning and so they hung around at the terminal but of course they were worried.

It was already 9:30 pm when we arrived at the bus station. After a few hugs, I asked Auntie D right away if I could borrow her cell phone so I could phone home. She said that she already called home and had let them know that we had called from the bus and we were delayed. I sort of felt bad that I wasn’t able to talk to the boys, but also nahihiya na rin naman ako dahil nakailang long distance na siya. I know the boys would have understood. I can’t sulk 😦 now because after all, I’m a big girl now.


Next time: My visit to Mall of America


Entry filed under: Detour, Minnesota, My guilt trip, My life as a mom, Vacation. Tags: , , .

Doubt, Revolutionary Road, and Rachel Getting Married Mall of America

7 Comments Add your own

  • 1. niceheart  |  August 16, 2009 at 1:45 am

    When I came back home, my youngest one told me that he cried after I left. See, I knew that he was going to miss me. And even big boys do cry. Well, he’s only 11. 🙂 I told him that I also felt like crying when I was on the bus. You’re just telling me that to make me feel better, he said. 🙂

  • 2. Wil  |  August 16, 2009 at 11:22 pm

    Your Uncle Sparkie is very skilled to have built that house.

    I wonder why Mr. Passenger was detained.

    I prefer taking the bus or train on long trips. I don’t like driving long hours. 😀

    • 3. niceheart  |  August 17, 2009 at 7:57 pm

      Yeah, I was really impressed with my uncle. We never really found the problem with Mr. Passenger. And I didn’t mind the bus ride. I’d take the bus again. I don’t drive kasi and it’s a lot cheaper than flying. 🙂

  • 4. bw  |  August 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm

    was a long but nice trip I presume. Fargo – wasn’t there a movie by that name? I thought it won some Oscar awards 🙂 Border crossings on public transport are always interesting. I took the train once and the immigration close the train for 1 hour frisking everyone for their identities !

    • 5. niceheart  |  August 27, 2009 at 4:41 pm

      Yeah, the trip wasn’t that bad. You’re right. Fargo is an Oscar award winning movie. It’s a good, light thriller. I actually have a copy. You should watch it.

  • 6. Mall of America « n i c e h e a r t  |  August 27, 2009 at 4:49 pm

    […] Mama and I planned a four-day trip, we spent one full day of travelling to go there, and another full day travelling to go back. So we […]

  • 7. The what system? « n i c e h e a r t  |  September 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm

    […] it took us so long to get here in Minnesota.” And we both had a laugh. Well, if you’ve read my previous post, the road trip I took with my mother took a while longer than expected because there was a problem […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

%d bloggers like this: