The First Week

June 1, 2006 at 10:59 pm 17 comments

The week is not yet over but I can say that it hasn’t been that bad.  I didn’t have a hard time getting up early the first day, but it had been so hard trying to keep awake in the training room.  We learned about the theories of the new system in our workflow and although our facilitator was an upbeat kind of person, it didn’t keep me from almost falling asleep.  Go figure.  I only had four hours of sleep the night before.  But I easily learned my lesson.  I made sure I went to bed early the following night. 

The kids have been very cooperative.  No tantrums.  I did manage to cook breakfast although we didn’t eat together.  And it sure helped that I have a teen-ager now who drops off my two youngest ones at the neighbour’s (my dear sis) before he goes to school.  The kids can look after themselves in the morning.  They just want a written structure – a guide.  So I made a schedule of their daily routine in the morning.  They have to eat breakfast at this time, get dressed at this time, and leave the house at this time.   

I take the bus in the morning.  I get up early and I don’t know why I still end up rushing and running after the bus.  Buses here are on schedule.  I take the 7:18 a.m. bus and I see familiar faces.  The same people that used to take this bus with me five years ago.  There’s this lady in her 50’s who used to talk with me while Ryland, who was only three then, sat on my lap.  There’s this woman who always picks her nose and plays with her boogers in her fingers.  There’s also this weird guy who acts like a child – combs his hair and fixes his shoelaces there at the bus stop.

It was also nice to see familiar faces at work.  Nobody’s weird there.  I’ve also met a few new people.  And yeah, it was nice “talking to people” again.  Getting dressed up in the morning instead of just working in t-shirt and shorts and getting out of the house is indeed a nice break from my mundane life of being a work-at-home mom

I recently celebrated my tenth year anniversary at work.  So did another girl who also works at home.  So on Wednesday, our supervisor invited a few of our friends in our Department and we had cake.  We were also presented the gifts, which we picked out ourselves.   I picked a small traveling case (luggage) and the other girl picked a glass desk clock.  But the best gift I think is the additional five vacation days we get for having worked there for ten years.  Twenty vacation days is pretty neat!    

Thursday was a pretty hectic day.  Right after work, the kids and I had to get ready for Reggie’s concert.  His school had a Spring Jazz Concert that night.  He did a beautiful flute solo in their rendition of Fables of Faubus.  A girl also did a lovely flute solo of Letter from Home and another boy did a wonderful tenor sax solo in their rendition of Boy Meets Horn

I enjoyed the Senior Vocal Jazz’s performance of I Can See Clearly Now, Dancing in the Street and At Last.  These students are so talented.  I had fun listening to their jazz music. 

That was my week.  How was yours?


Entry filed under: Reggie and his music, Working at home.

Going back to the office He’s confirmed

17 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Toe  |  June 2, 2006 at 8:48 am

    Oh, that was great that Reggie had a flute solo. Wish I could have watched. He’s quite dashing in his suit. 🙂 The people in your bus are funny Niceheart. 🙂 Now that you had a great week, HAPPY WEEKEND!

  • 2. jane  |  June 2, 2006 at 9:08 am

    wow, busy girl ha 🙂

  • 3. bingskee  |  June 2, 2006 at 9:30 am

    There’s this woman who always picks her nose and plays with her boogers in her fingers. eewww!! (i find this funny 🙂 )

  • 4. sesame  |  June 3, 2006 at 3:50 am

    Glad everything turned out well. While it’s nice to work from home, I think it’s always refreshing to meet your colleagues once in a while.

    My week was hectic and now, I’m glad to have some time to laze and idle around for a while.

  • 5. mmy-lei  |  June 3, 2006 at 5:32 am

    Good to know that you didnt have a bad time in the office. Keep it up.

    Happy Weekend.

  • 6. niceheart  |  June 3, 2006 at 7:36 am

    Toe, their music director makes sure that he gives each student a chance to show their talents. I like him in his suit too. He looks so grown up, though.

    Jane, yes, very busy. Fell asleep on the couch Friday night. So exhausted.

    Bing, that woman was also on my bus last night on my way home. I caught her putting her finger in her mouth. Can’t tell if it was the one that was up her nose. So gross.

  • 7. niceheart  |  June 3, 2006 at 7:40 am

    Sesame, yes, it was nice to see and talk to my friends again. But unlike you, I’ve still got a busy weekend ahead of me. 😦

    Thanks, Mmy-lei. Have a nice one, too.

  • 8. bw  |  June 3, 2006 at 7:51 am

    Nice to know that your son is musically minded. That’s a great way to make him appreciate the arts. When i was in grade 6 up to high school I played clarinet in our school band and I tremendously enjoyed it.

    Good for you that you had a great week. Here in Toronto, the TTC ( Toronto Transit Commission) had a wild cat strike on Monday , completely unannounced that suprised everyone. There were no buses and the subway, street cars and light rail transit were closed. They were ordered by the court to go back to work the following day. Imagine how many people’s days were spoiled because of their irresponsibility.

  • 9. niceheart  |  June 3, 2006 at 10:29 pm

    BW, my son Reggie has been playing the flute since grade 7 and is really passionate about jazz. He practises everyday and he wants to pursue a career in music. He wants to be a jazz flutist.

    I hope a transit strike doesn’t happen here.

  • 10. vina  |  June 4, 2006 at 8:28 am

    heeey superwoman. i hope you don’t tire yourself out! don’t forget the word r-e-l-a-x.

  • 11. Eric  |  June 4, 2006 at 7:36 pm

    Glad to know that things are working out just fine!

  • 12. niceheart  |  June 4, 2006 at 11:37 pm

    Vina, I think I can finally relax in the following weeks, once the kids are done with their different activities.

    Eric, I am too.

  • 13. ann  |  June 5, 2006 at 5:39 pm

    Hello Irene! It is also a very busy week for me but I enjoy being alalay to my bunso.

    have a nice day!

  • 14. niceheart  |  June 6, 2006 at 10:40 pm

    We are very busy mommies, Ann.

  • 15. Jayred  |  June 8, 2006 at 3:31 am

    You must be very proud of your son! Nice to know he has passion for music. I’ve always liked flute music, but never got around to learning how to play that instrument.

    Your week sounded so hectic! I can’t imagine having a schedule like that (I’m so much a night person; I don’t like working in the mornings). It’s good your kids are very cooperative.

    Cheers, Irene!

  • 16. niceheart  |  June 8, 2006 at 10:16 pm

    Very proud, Jayred. I was not interested in jazz music, but he introduced me and I kind of like it now.

    I find that as my kids get older, I am busier. They have their own activities that they are interested and of course I am their alalay. 🙂

  • 17. Journey to Honeyville » The Office  |  June 10, 2006 at 11:20 pm

    […] My first week back at the office went well.  The training room was set up in a classroom setting and I and nine other employees were all giddy in learning all these new things.  But after one week, we were all sent back to our cubicles in our Department.  The other work-at-home person, who’s also a Filipino mom, and I were assigned to two empty cubicles where we will be staying for the rest of the training period.  […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

%d bloggers like this: