Getting to know me
A few weeks ago, I was out with my kids and my youngest son, Ryland, begged that we drop by the Dollarama store so he could buy me a present. So I obliged. He was worried that I would know what he was gonna buy. “That’s okay, Ryland,” I said. “It’s the thought that counts.” When we got home, he told me not to open them until my birthday.
Today is my special day, and I got to open my presents this morning. They’re only a dollar each, but he picked them out himself and I think they’re cute. And isn’t he just the sweetest thing?
Also, in my inbox, I received a video-clip from my oldest niece, Agnus. She strung together pictures of my family and accompanied it with the song “Good Mother.” I’ve never heard it before but I was touched not only by the lyrics but also by the gesture of my dear 18-year old niece. This is my favourite stanza:
I’ve got money in my pocket
I like the colour of my hair
I’ve got a friend who loves me
Got a house, I’ve got a car
I’ve got a good mother
And her voice is what keeps me here.
Sis also bought me a DQ ice cream cake and her kids brought it to the house singing me a Happy Birthday. Later on I heard Ryan singing Happy Birthday softly while I was cutting the cake. I don’t usually make a fuss about my birthday and I don’t usually get gifts (except my big one last year), but it’s simple things like these that mean a lot to me. By the way, my nephews and nieces call me Tita (auntie) Irene.
I’ve seen this tag/meme on a few blogs that I visit. I thought I’d give it a shot. I have been thinking of doing a list of 40 things about me anyway. This is easier and a lot more fun.
Here are 20 random facts about me:
1. I was named after the hospital where I was born.
2. I have lived in 12 different addresses.
3. I have attended ten different schools.
4. I gave my High School crush a record of the song “When I’m Gone.”
5. I’ve always had a perm throughout my college years that my classmates thought I had naturally wavy hair.
6. I had a disastrous perm just before I got married. That was the last time I ever had a perm.
7. My first job in Canada was at McDonald’s Restaurant.
8. I had a 24-inch waistline when I was 24. Not anymore.
9. I have been mistaken for a Vietnamese a couple of times, by of all people, Vietnamese.
10. I can’t talk on the phone and watch TV at the same time. I can only pay attention to one.
11. I love chocolates. I always have some stashed in my desk drawer.
12. My middle son always corrects me when I say the words toboggan, stadium and insulin. I always forget how to pronounce these words correctly.
13. I like mushy movies and I cry watching them. That’s why I like watching them alone.
14. I fell in love with Russell Crowe on The Gladiator, Joshua Jackson (Pacey) on Dawson’s Creek, and Tom Welling on Smallville. I have gotten over the first two, but not Tom because his show is still on.
15. I have a poster of Ricky Martin in my workstation.
16. I usually go to bed at 1:00 a.m.
17. I sewed our sofa covers (3 sets) and dining chair covers (2 sets).
18. I try not to judge a book by its cover.
19. I think that we should always count our blessings.
20. My most memorable birthday so far was last year’s, when I turned the big 4-0.
Wanna give this a try?